Get your BEAUTY, on! Subscribe to our e-newsletter for tons of great stuff (even some free goodies!)
*unsubscribe at any time

How to Get a MAC Pro Card

So every makeup artist (actually everyone) loves to get discount makeup. Some companies, like MAC, offer a membership and/or discount card for working artists to get discounted product. I know A LOT of people want to know this one thing:

HOW DO I GET A MAC PRO CARD?!!?!

Here is a video tutorial explaining the steps I took in order to be approved for my MAC Pro card:

MAC Pro Card Application:

Mail your application to:
M·A·C PRO MEMBERSHIP, PO Box 435, 3219 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3S1. (Canada)
OR
MAC PRO MEMBERSHIP, 2316 Delaware Ave., PO Box 289, Buffalo, NY 14216-2687+ (USA)
OR You can drop it off at your local MAC store
_____________________________________________
Free Business cards at VistaPrint
OR
Check out local printing shops in your area for cheap package deals (go for simple/inexpensive)
OR
You can make your own and print them off yourself… if you’ve got a high-quality printer and good quality card-stock they can look like the real thing. Try to avoid the ones that have the bumpy edges- they don’t look as professional.
_____________________________________________
Enkores detailed explanation for the appropriate MAC Pro documents (for makeup artists, actors, cosmetologists, estheticians, photographers, fashion designers etc.)
Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXg0jfUFs5g
Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPQrmjORpVI
_____________________________________________

For an example of one of my Makeup Service Contracts:

On the application form MAC outlines the documents that are required and acceptable, so make sure that you read the application form, even if you think you have everything you need to get your application approved.

The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre

Sometimes, but not always, if you’re application is missing a crucial piece of information or is incomplete, MAC will return your application with a check list of why it’s been rejected. Mine was rejected once because personal letters of reference are not acceptable.

It takes quite a long time for you to hear back about getting approved, so be patient. You will get an email (to the address you supplied on your application) saying that you’ve been approved and to go to the MAC Pro site to set up your account:

If you are approved you may get a 30% or 40% discount off your MAC purchases. Make sure you read their Terms & Conditions, because there are guidelines to how much you can purchase of what etc.

If approved, your Pro card will last a year before you have to pay for your renewal. The membership costs $35 US and $45 Canadian.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll do my best to help find you an answer :D
Good Luck Ladies! xoxo
Beauty Newbie.com Copyright © 2010

PLEASE NOTE:
 Everything I have as far as information, is in this article. If it doesn’t answer your questions, it may be best to simply contact MAC anonymously about your question. As far as I am aware, MAC has become much more strict regarding their regulations as far as obtaining the Pro Card goes, so many may not obtain the Pro Card as I originally did.

29 Comments on How to Get a MAC Pro Card

1. Mariana
    April 15, 2010 at 5:06 am (4 years ago)

this looks very informative!! now I finally know what I have to send :D I hope I can do it soon, thanks Bea

2. laura62484
    April 23, 2010 at 8:56 am (4 years ago)

I recently received my mac pro card :) and it really is great to get any percentage off makeup! I did learn that they no longer take contracts from freelance makeup artists, only companies. I sent in my business card and composite card. The only downfall of having the mac pro card is paying the annual fee, but if you are constantly purchasing products for your kit, it kinda pays itself off. :)

Youtube:laura62484

3. itslehhh
    April 24, 2010 at 3:23 am (4 years ago)

i can’t wait to advance my knowledge and expand with techniques and everything and get a MAC Pro Card.

Youtube:Mzlehhh808

4. MakeupByAmberRashid
    April 25, 2010 at 2:16 am (4 years ago)

I love having a pro card. it’s such a big help when its time to restock my kit. A word of advice to anyone looking to apply for a pro card: Mail in your application instead of turning it in to a mac store. I turned in my original application to a mac store and when I called a month after not having heard anything from mac i found out that the store never submitted my application. Just be careful who you turn your application into.

5. Queenb6986
    June 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm (4 years ago)

Hello, I see that someone commented and said that they no longer accept freelance contracts and I am a freelance artist without a composite card, so would this mean that I would no longer be able to apply for a MAC Pro card?

6. Anonymous
    November 27, 2010 at 12:25 am (4 years ago)

I recently submitted for the pro card membership and got rejected. I submitted a business card together with a makeup service contract just like what you suggested. Turned in the application on Nov 1 using priority mail and received a reply in the mail Nov 25th saying i was rejected.

I was rejected because “makeup service contract” is not accepted. I am a freelance makeup artist. Please advise. My email is yodaling@hotmail.com should you have any good advise.

7. Holly
    November 27, 2010 at 3:38 am (4 years ago)

@Anonymous:

The Makeup Service Contract isn’t enough… you still need to show that you were CONTRACTED BY A REGISTERED BUSINESS. People often miss that part, but it is crucial to get approved.

A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED WHAT TO DO TO GET A LETTER OF REFERENCE FROM A COMPANY:

****GO TO HALLOWEEN SHOPS, OR LOCAL SPA, OR EVEN LOCAL THEATERS/OPERA HOUSES ETC. TO SEE IF YOU CAN VOLUNTEER. YOU NEED TO GET A LETTER OF REFERENCE SAYING YOU “WORKED” FOR THAT REGISTERED COMPANY FOR A STINT , I.E. A CONTRACT. A PERSONAL LETTER OF REFERENCE WILL NOT WORK. THAT IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN GETTING A CUSTOMER TO WRITE A LETTER OF REFERENCE. If you can get a letter from the owner/director from a REGISTERED BUSINESS (not like, a reference from some entity like a blog etc.)

Get the director/owner/head person to write a letter of reference on THEIR BUSINESS LETTERHEAD stating your services provided. I’ll see if I can find mine, and share it, but IT WASN’T UNTIL I SENT THAT LETTER THAT I WAS APPROVED.

I hope this helps you guys, if there’s other questions that I missed, leave them below. Or email me (top right) if you want to contact me directly.

8. Makeupbyirmita
    January 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm (4 years ago)

OMG!! I am so happy to find someone that is helping people like us, that love our hobby, work, or what ever we want to call it.. !!it like an addiction!! I really want to say thank you so much…I have being doing Freelance Makeup since I was 15th years old.. and I Love it…I hope i it works for me… thanks a mill.

9. paperdollsmile
    January 18, 2011 at 4:35 am (4 years ago)

How long do the applications usually take to process? I sent mine in three weeks ago to the Canadian address and the money still hasn’t been taken out of my account. =(

10. Anonymous
    February 26, 2011 at 3:24 am (4 years ago)

A Makeup Service Contract just ins’t enough, and vista print isn’t a good business card company, they offer cheap and unprofessional products. I think MAC as well as reputable makeup artists who have worked hard to get up top try to keep people who just WANT a discount from having one. I understand if you are a freelance makeup artist and want to work but you have to go through the hardships that it takes to deserve that card. It isn’t fair that there are people who have sacrificed a lot and have worked very hard to get to the point they are at and see others who THINK they deserve that card because they put makeup on their family and friends and consider themselves makeup artists. I just wish people would see that it takes more than that to be considered a makeup artist.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

You gotta start somewhere asshole

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2012 at 11:10 pm (2 years ago)

Ok first of all, im a free lance makeup artist, to be honest you dont need certification of some sort to tell that your good at doing makrup. All that matters is that YOUR GOOD and you have alot of support doing what you love. Freelance mua are hard workers too. I had to do 8 bridemaids INCLUDING ME, and a bride! Is thhat hard work or what?

11. Anonymous
    April 12, 2011 at 1:11 am (3 years ago)

I am a freelance makeup artist. I sent a business card, personal contract on my own letterhead, and a few photographs of my work. Do you think I will be accepted? I read that personal contracts on your own letterhead are not accepted, but do you think that the photos will compensate for that?

12. Anonymous
    April 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm (3 years ago)

It’s obvious that the last comment was wrote by someone who didn’t begin the journey as alot of makeup artists do. You have to begin somewhere. And if doing makeup for family and friends helps you in becoming a GREAT makeup artist….then thats what you should do until you are able to build your clientele. Again You have to start from somewhere

13. Gigi
    April 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

Hi, my name is Giditte and I’m a freelance makeup artist, interested in getting a M.A.C. pro card I was just watching your video and you said that you have to send a complete copy of a makeup contract signed andand dated by the customer. How many exactly should I send and How did u create your contract?

14. Anonymous
    October 30, 2012 at 5:31 pm (2 years ago)

So if you’re denied do they send you back your payment?

• Beautynewbie
      July 16, 2013 at 3:52 am (1 year ago)

Yes, I’m pretty sure they send back your payment with the rejection letter.

15. delaware custom homebuilders
    January 5, 2014 at 9:35 pm (8 months ago)

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this superb blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS
    feed to my Google account. I look forward to new
    updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.

Talk soon!

16. Antonietta
    January 13, 2014 at 12:08 am (8 months ago)

Very nice post. I absolutely appreciate this website.
    Thanks!

17. free mac pro
    January 17, 2014 at 12:46 am (7 months ago)

Good day! I simply want to give you a big thumbs up for the great information you have here on this post.
    I am returning to your web site for more soon.

my page … free mac pro

18. cheapmackm
    March 14, 2014 at 6:28 am (6 months ago)

Wholesale pro mac makeup store sale mac pro makeup discount mac pro cosmetics canada pro cosmetics locations mac cosmetics jobs,what is mac pro cosmetics products from mac pro makeup uk.how to buy mac pro cosmetics,professional makeup kits make up online shop makeup brands wholesale cosmetics store australia mac pro eyeshadow palette cheap mac cosmetics careers mineral make up set make up online shop http://maccosmeticswholesale080.gadgetblog.com/

19. get ripped and lean
    March 18, 2014 at 12:34 am (5 months ago)

ME accepting a amazing breakup with whilst banqueting 1285 muscle extreme candies.

20. Bryon
    June 18, 2014 at 12:32 pm (2 months ago)

What’s up, I check your new sruff on a regular basis.Your humoristic style is witty, keep doikng what you’re
    doing!

my webb page … plus.google.com [Bryon]

21. Bethany
    July 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm (1 month ago)

I know this web page presents quality based posts aand
    other information, is there any other sikte which gives these kinds of things in quality?

My blog … frenchfrycutterstore.com (Bethany)

22. Tw Jackson
    July 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm (1 month ago)

I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Very well written!

Here is my weeb page … Tw Jackson

23. Click Here to Learn More
    July 21, 2014 at 6:12 am (1 month ago)

In fact, she reminisced about a situation where she showed a prospect who wass considering a tiny Cape Cod home how
    the roof could be removed and a second story added.
    At the same time, you also need to fix all the broken things in your house.
    Thhis is not ideal if you’re facing repossession and
    timescales are against you to sell your home fast because you will be waiting forr auction date which could be
    a few months away.

Feel free to surf to my webpage :: Click Here to Learn More

24. babyliss was way too easy previously, however right now it is close to impossible
    discover our latest collection of ralph lauren classic mens cashmere sweater 3109 in orange outlet us online http://www.hafsil.com/ralph-lauren-curtains/discover-our-latest-collection-of-ralph-lauren-classic-mens-cashmere-sweater-3109-in-orange-outlet-us-online.asp